In optimisation of 3D cell culturing processes many factors play a role. Besides size, type, and conditions of culture vessels also the characteristics of the microcarriers are of importance. These microcarriers in 3D cell culturing processes provide an artificial microenvironment allowing cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions in all three dimensions, together with a high nutrient and gas exchange rate.
Leveraging Fujifilm’s on human collagen I-based CellnestTM biomaterial, a revolutionary new injectable microsphere has been developed. The microspheres can be used for both cell expansion and cell delivery to patients without the additional need of cell harvesting. The macroporous microspheres have a size range of 100-400 µm, which make them suitable for injection.
Unique features of Fujifilm macroporous microspheres are, that:
- Microspheres act as microcarrier for cell culturing AND as injectable cell delivery vehicle.
- There is an increased surface area and accessible volume due to the macroporosity. The higher surface volume allows cellular colonization at the inner surface, resulting in higher cell yields.
- Cell harvesting, which is considered as one of the main obstacles of using microcarriers, will not be necessary after cell expansion. Elimination of the harvesting step will avoid multiple passaging times of cells and will improve cell viability.
- Injection of cells adhered to the biomaterial enhances cell survival after injection in damaged hostile environment.
- The macroporous microspheres are biocompatible and fully biodegradable.
- The microspheres are suitable for upscaling dynamic expansion processes of cells in spinner flasks and bioreactors.
- The synthetic, animal product-free material has a very consistent and reproducible high quality.
- The macroporous microspheres can be supplied in both research and GMP quality.
In summary, Fujifilm's macro-porous micropsheres are suitable
- For anchorage-dependent cell production
- In dynamic expansion systems like spinner flasks and bioreactors
- As microcarriers to grow cells onto
- As minimally invasive cell delivery vehicle to patients, without the need of cell harvesting